Sunday, March 15, 2026

Winter Spring 2026

These photos are sadly all out of order. Here we go,

Up first we have the Higher Power show at Brudenell Social Club. I wrote about this in my zine.

This next show was the Cannonball record release show. I went to three shows in three weekends!

Kathryn has been poorly.


I did a running event with the club where we had to collect pages of books over the Chevin.

I also squeezed in a quick trip to London to see Simon and go to the Cold World show with High Vis.


This was a photo from yesterday, I ran over to parkrun. This winter will be remember for having about 40 days of continuous rain. It's been great that the weather has finally improved and I was out for quite a long time yesterday as we went to Saltaire in the afternoon to go for a walk, and then onto Bini for some drinks later.


We ordered a nice cake for valentines day.


Last weekend I went to another show at Boom this time. It was the Brainrotter Records show and I saw Tramadol and The Flex. Again, wrote about this in the zine.


This was a photo from yesterday and the sunny parkrun.


We went for a Sunday lunch at The Penny Bun, this was desert.


From my run yesterday.


Another photo from the show in Sheffield.


A coffee whilst waiting for the train back from London.


Two weeks ago it was Ilkley FR. An annual event for me that I was always try to do. I came 24th which was a best ever finish for me.


It was my fourth attempt at this race now, so I knew what was coming. The official map has a very generous interpretation of ‘level running’. It looks about equal thirds between flat/up/down, but I’d say it’s almost a 50/50 split between uphill and downhills and very small amount of running on the flat. Conditions were pretty good, a little bit of a cold breeze but sheltered in Ilkley, with a bit more of a strong westerly on the moor. It was a bit overcast and dry, only really the second half of the course was boggy and wet underfoot.

I was pretty careful at the start to just run fast enough to avoid the bottleneck on the path up to the start of the ascent up the Cow & Calf. A group of about 20 seemed to fly off up the path, and then I tucked in with a couple of other runners 10 metres or so behind that pack. The first ascent is as you expect, tough. I felt like I wasn’t properly warmed up, but just kept putting one foot in front of the other. Thanks to Andrew for the words of support as we got over the hardest part and continued our climb up towards Burley moor.

The bit I dread the most about this race is the first decent. It’s terrifying, especially when trying to do quickly and with faster runners trying to get past. There seemed to be more stairs than usual towards the bottom. I was relieved to make it down in one piece.

The second ascent is pretty steep so it’s mainly walking pace for that. At the top I was feeling pretty fatigued in the legs with all the recent races I’ve done. Once I got the legs going, it was a short descent through the Rocky Valley. I had a little trip going down the valley in front of a photographer, but managed to steady myself and avoid falling. The third ascent is crazy and I’m sure I black this out due to hypoxia, as every year it catches me by surprise, ‘oh this bit…’ I suddenly remember.

When we got to the third summit, we picked up the pace along the top. I was feeling a bit better now so overtook the runner so I could run at my own pace. However, when we got going up the fourth ascent I found myself joined by a small group of runners who had caught me up. This was a kick up the backside I needed because I knew this meant I was dropping the pace a bit. When we got over the top (again) I tried to get back in front but did take a while to find a sensible place to overtake a runner.

We hurtled down the last big descent and I was able to pass another of the runners who had got a bit ahead of me. I was grateful with knowledge of the course to save a bit for the final fifth ascent which is a gentle couple hundred metres which is killer if you’re hoping the finish is around the corner.

We were then onto the final descent to the finish. I actually felt a bit bad but I kept the runner behind me as the path was too narrow for them to get past, but I’m generally not a fast descender. He did manage to pass me before we entered the finish area, and we had a competitive sprint towards the line which I hope was entertaining for the spectators. He beat me by a hare’s breath.

Overall I finished in 24th which is my best over finishing position at this race. A shoutout to Andrew Webster too who I saw at the finish who was providing medical support for the event. I hope he made it home without having to come to anyone’s rescue.


This was Despize at Brudenell.


A nice bun whilst at work from Layne. The proving is always a bit all over the place during the winter months.


I did the Yorkshire XC race at Light Water Valley.



We had a work social and did golf.


A Winter League XC race.


Some fun graffiti at work.


I went for a coffee at Miles & Co. Not sure why.



Breakfast at Mistal.


These next photos were New Years Day, I ran over to do Ilkley parkrun.




Sometime over Christmas we went to Friends of Ham.



I did the Nationa XC race at Sedgeifield.


Here we go, the end of my XC adventures this year. The English Cross Country Association puts on an annual national championship, and this year it was in Sedgefield. This is a short 10-minute drive from where my in-laws live, so it felt this was opportunity to give it a go without the expense and hassle of travelling somewhere far afield. I love running, but not enough to travel far for an event.

The racecourse provided the parking, and a short walk took you to a large field adjacent to Sedgefield. I have done the parkrun here, which is a lovely trail run around the Hardwick Hall estate. Although this event was on the other side of the main road and must have been in the wider fields of what would have been the estate.

I got there in plenty of time and spectated for the Senior Women’s race where the running was seriously impressive. Part of me felt like I had time travelled back to the 1950s, the vista of grass fields, big oak trees, church spire on the horizon, and not a carbon plated neon road shoe in sight. In fact, to add to the ambience I overheard a coach shouting at a younger runner ‘you can run faster than all these old women’, so I might well have been.

Soon enough it was time for the senior men. I do love the (non-sexist) traditions, 3pm Saturday is the men’s start time. Reminding us of an era before Sky-TV ruining football. All +1000 of us senior men started in a long line and hurtled towards the first corner. I was a little towards the back and thankful the bottleneck kept me from going off too fast.

And as for the race itself, my immediate reflection is that it was ‘50 minutes of pain’, I am sure many of you have your own comparisons. The course was surprisingly dry and pretty flat. Certainly easier than the courses I had run in Yorkshire. However, with this being 12.5km it was considerably longer than anything I had raced recently.

The zigzag nature of the courses is another psychological test of your metal. The first half of the lap was easier, it was quite fast with a small hill. The second half was much tougher and involved ‘a bit of’ mud and various twists and turns to get us back to the start. Fate had it that this was also into a bit of a headwind.

In the second half the pace continued to be relentless, it seemed like there was two types of runner, those running the same pace as me, and those running slightly faster. I must of been in the top 400 at one point, but every few minutes a little group would come past me. I was hoping to pick off a few as I went but I guess in a race of this calibre most people will pace it sensibly. There was the odd abandonment I went past that gave me a boost to keep going.

I finished in just over 50 minutes which I thought was a solid time. I am certainly pleased to have averaged 4min/km over grass fields in track spikes. And one final gift from my XC experience? Well, at the finish line there was all these beautifully neat little piles of sawdust in a polka dot fashion. I’m guessing those are covering all the vomit (bless those juniors and running so hard they vomit), I was careful to avoid them on my way out.


We did have much snow this year. Just this one day where I ran up to the moor to see a bit more of it.


The other photo of our Sunday lunch at Penny Bun.


Last week I went for a short run down to the weir.


Snow on moor.


Pizza from the work social, it was a few days before Valentines day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Late Summer 2026

Again, these are in some sort of mixed up order. The rose that we saved from next door flowered this year. Hopefully we will plant it in the...