We start off on the rest of my week off at the start of March, and take it through to pretty much the end.
On Thursday (?I think) we went across for breakfast at Arlo. I had a pastry and Kathryn had the waffles. It was pretty quiet.
On Friday, Stuart had come over and we had a day out in York. I was up early for a quick run to start the day.
We then got the train over the York, and found somewhere nice to have brunch.
For parkrun the next day, I did some timekeeping and was able to run over to the start. It was another nice morning. There is an insanely steep ascent of the Chevin, which I actually quite enjoy. It's pretty much from bottom to top and it takes about 10 minutes so it's over with fairly quickly.
I went back for a tea and cake after at Mistal Kitchen. Rags was there too so it was good to catch up with him. Louise and Steve were also there, later I'd find out that Louise tested positive the next day but somehow none of us caught it. I had the rest of my brownie when I got home.
Later in the afternoon, the weather was really good and so I made it out to a park in Guiseley to try out some orienteering. Someone at work had recommended that I try it. It was a bit odd having to do it with loads of children around, but the club was friendly and it was quite straightforward to have a go.
I was back at work the following week. I was out for a run early Tuesday morning. Again, it was nice to be out over the moors in a crisp dry morning, there was still a bit of chill in the air. The grouse are becoming quite aggressive now it is mating season.
Next time I was out was Saturday morning again for parkrun. This time, I cycled over to the start, and had taken top opportunity to help guide a visually impaired runner around the course. This was Louise, who I got to meet at the start. It turned out, she was completely blind, which meant it was quite challenging but she was a really good runner and it was surprisingly easier than you think. I managed to help her to a course PB of around 31 minutes, which included stopping for a horse to walk past. It was quite muddy still, and we had to do a little diversion, but I think I managed to do a good job.
Sunday I was in work, but the recent good weather had meant that I was able to cycle in. This coincided around sunrise and sunset.
On Tuesday me and Kathryn went across to get some pastries.
Wednesday I went to Even Splits again, here is the race report:
"To add a few of my own words: Agreed, conditions were pretty decent, no wind and a balmy 11 degrees (on the car thermometer!). In the A race it was noticeable how many more people were there this round.I feel since the pandemic, I am starting to get much better at racing and finding my form, which is coming back to an unprecedented level based on recent results.
I had to take almost 12 months off last year due to a back and hip problem. But adding some daily yoga and flexibility work, plus building myself back up with a focus on form is clearly working wonders for me. I also barely run on roads anymore, usually trial or moor runs for me now.
Most people won’t know my history, but I have only been running ‘seriously’ for about 5 years. I mainly played team sports in my 20s and all this running business is still quite new to me.I was going for sub-18 again, and felt pretty good all the way round. Trying to run as hard and as even pace as possible (it’s called even splits for a reason, right?). The race clock was 12 minutes after 2 laps, and as I came into the final 100 metres I could see it’d only just ticked over to 17 minutes!
That was a huge boost and I had enough left to get over the line in 17:31. A huge PB by 27 seconds, I can still hardly believe it.So, all in all another great evening a the track. I am starting to wonder now whether I’ll be able to come close to this again, who knows?
Leeds HM is the target race for me which is only about 8 weeks away now. My PB there is 1:23, so hopefully will be close to that. It was also nice to chat to Edward (and I’m presuming Dad) after the race. What an inspiring run from him."
Friday was still good weather, I popped out at lunch.

No comments:
Post a Comment