Sunday, July 24, 2022

July 2022

Flip, got a bit behind with this, so huge update here. Details will be brief!

The dates also seem a bit out of whack now, this was from mid-June I think.


The 16th of June was the Beamlsey Beacon fell race. This was another first for me, and a really tough but fun event.


I had a week off work, and I spent quite a bit of time outdoors. Most of it was doing painting!


I had to get a blood test done again, and so I sat outside Arlo to have some breakfast.



On Friday the 22nd June, we popped up to Durham because Jean was unwell. I went for a quick run in the afternoon whilst Jan was at the hospital. We didn't stay overnight, but just stayed to spend some time with Jan and Eddie.




On the Friday evening we went out to Ilkley to have some drinks and food.





Not sure when this was.



On Saturday, it was time to go to Derby for my niece-in-law's wedding. This week, parkrun said that pre-event course checks are now mandatory. And so, I was able to pick up a quick volunteer credit before we drove down to the wedding.



We had a bit of a late depart, but it was all fine in the end. Izzy was good a stayed at the house. The ceremony was in a small chapel within the estate of Calke Abbey. The reception was in a converted riding school, and it was a nice day. We spent time talking to my parents, and also to some of my brother's family relatives. We left about 5pm and had a good journey back to Leeds.






Sunday, I popped out for a short bike ride on my new bike.



Monday I popped out for a quick run in the evening, just to try and get some miles in my legs before the HM next week. The river is now very low.


On Tuesday, my parent were visiting. We went for a nice walk over Rombalds moor.





In the afternoon we popped to Bolton Abbey, and in the evening I went off to swim at the lake.


On Wednesday, Kathryn got a nice cake delivered for me for helping support her over the past few weeks.


Thursday we went over to Farsley to go to the Mexican restaurant we like. The food was delicious, and we had margaritas with it too. It was pretty warm and we sat on their patio area out the back. Unfortunately, it gave me really bad indigestion though and so I had to go to be early.





Friday I was able to arrange a quick ride out with Chris to Bolton Abbey. I hadn't seen him since before the triathlon. We rode over langar and then back over Askwith moor.


Saturday it was parkrun, again. This week I was run director as I was running tomorrow. It was another fairly non-eventful event which was good. The pre-event setup person didn't turn up until late, but Kitty and Rowan helped me set everything up with Emily.


Kathryn helped me sort the tokens afterwards and I processed the results at home. Quite a few of the regular volunteers were not around and so I didn't go back to the cafe afterwards.


Sunday the 10th of July was Ilkley Half Marathon. It was a very summery day, hot and clear skies. The 10:30 start made it difficult conditions running at the middle of the day. However, it was mainly the lack of training that was difficult, I found it hard from about mile 5 onwards. I had a good time with Chris and Vicki afterwards cheering on the finishers.




Monday it was a sad day as we had to go to Jean's funeral. It was a hot day, and we planned to go to Durham and back in a day. We arrived about 11am and got to spend some time with Kathryn's uncle. The funeral was at 2pm, and the cars picked us up at quarter past one. We drove over to Jean's house and then over to the crematorium. It was roasting hot in the back of the car, and me, Kathryn and Stuart were huddled on the back seat.


The ceremony was very nice and there was quite a lot of people there.


Afterwards, we went back to the garden centre near Helen and Colin's to have the wake which was an afternoon tea. We spent quite a bit of time talking to one of Kathryn's cousins. At 5pm, it was time to drive back and we were pleased to be back after a long day. Izzy did really well too, we had left her all day.


Tuesday swimming was another beautiful evening down by the lake. I think I did 4 laps in my wetsuit and 1 lap non-wetsuit.



On Wednesday I helped Otley AC run an event and marshalled on the course. I had a nice spot down by the river. It was a nice evening to be out.




There is a little garden in Leeds city centre called Park Square. It is between the station, the courts and the hospital. It is where the barristers' chambers are and actually just where Kathryn should be working. I sometimes walk through it on the way to work. The rose beds were looking spectacular this month.


Swimming on Saturday. We had a special session where we we allowed to swim around the little island in the middle of the lake! In the distance you can see a swimmer going first, and that's me! I had to be quick to get 4 laps in before going over to parkrun.

At parkrun I was barcode scanning this week. I had a great chat afterwards with Julie (a regular volunteer) and her husband and dog. I then spoke to Lorna and Matt who are also regular volunteers. The guy crouched over is the first finisher this week, that's how I usually feel when I finish this run!




The begging of the next heatwave started on Sunday when I had to work. I cycled in, and it was nice to cycle in the warm weather, especially as I also cycle in the winter too when it's horrible!


I am growing a sunflower for a competition at work. It is my little hobby this year as I am not growing an runner beans this year.



Tuesday was the hottest day on record in the UK. It was very hot. I also had a job interview for a PhD which I didn't get. But in the afternoon I was able to sit outside and read for a bit. It was too hot to do anything else.


Thankfully there was a swimming session in the evening, the club had been sensible and not cancelled it. Surprisingly the water actually wasn't that hot, about 23 degrees. However, I was able to do 5 laps so it can't have been too bad!



As it was such a nice evening I took the opportunity to cycle the longer way home.


A cute picture of Izzy.


Saturday morning was another beautiful morning. There was a bit of cloud but also some sunshine. Karl asked me to chose the direction of swimming so I chose anti-clockwise. There was only 25 swimmers but it was a nice start to the day.


After swimming I popped over to parkrun as usual to meet up with some colleagues from work. I volunteered again as we seem to be struggling a bit this week. I was only funnel managing though so that generally involved to clapping encourage and shouting at people once they finish!


View from the cycle ride home.


In the afternoon we popped up to Durham to finish off Eddie's birthday celebrations. We were brave and left Izzy in the house and went to Lumley Castle for afternoon tea. Helen and Colin came too, and we had a great catch up with them and enjoyed some good food!


We drove back Sunday morning and I managed to squeeze in a quick bike ride. This afternoon is it now raining so I am catching up on this blog!













No comments:

Post a Comment

Late Summer 2026

Again, these are in some sort of mixed up order. The rose that we saved from next door flowered this year. Hopefully we will plant it in the...