Wednesday, August 30, 2023

August 2023

Looking back, it has been a busy month. Although it looks like I didn't take that many photographs. At the start of the month, we did another impromptu paediatric parkrun meet up at Woodhouse Moor. I think I have only done about 2 parkruns all summer, but it was nice to get a message from Rachel on Thursday to meet up.


We managed to all squeeze into Coffee on the Crescent which I was very happy about. As there is really very few cafe options around Woodhouse Moor park. Afterwards I went over to the bakery, and also popped into the first open event for Echelon coffee roasters.


I also managed to get the first bbq of the summer done. Kathryn had won this Yorkshire food hamper, and so we've now got these really nice burgers that we cook. I've also started using these pre-prepared firewood bags which make it super easy to do.


It was a big week the following week. Chris has kindly taken me up to Kettlewell on the bikes for the first time. I don't know why, but I had this idea that Park Rash was a local climb that I really needed to do. This is the photo of the approach, it is probably the steepest climb I have tried to do.


The climb was overshadowed somewhat but the news that I had been approved for my PhD fellowship. We were sitting in a small cafe eating lunch at the time. I'm a bit gutted I don't have a photo of that. We were tucking into these awesome cheese on toast things when I had a text from Claudia to check my emails.

I think the next week must have been a blur as the next photo is from Bolton Abbey, and I think this is also me and Chris cycling, as we managed three Thursday in a row during August.


I was very excited on the train one day to spot someone with a Eurobike!


During mid-August, some of the weather we had was terrible. This was one morning where I walked in and the doctors had run out of coffee, and so I made the effort to visit Laynes to get them a fresh bag.




This photo is from the end of the month, and the graph is showing the temperatures over the summer this year. So it was warm in June (remember the Great North Swim was quite warm), then July was quite cold, and August has been marginally above average.


I popped up to the university to meet the awesome Liz. I am very excited to be working with her from October.


I managed to make a few bike rides over to Barden moor. Definitely one of my favourite spots to go to, the views are always amazing.



I went swimming after work and my train was cancelled. So I quickly had a beer at North Bar. The highlight was this guy walking past with two snakes wrapped around his neck!



On the Saturday, I visited Mike from pathology at North Star coffee. We get the little water taxi back to the station!


For the first time since my big bike crash in 2020, I rode over to Draughton via Ilkley Moor and then went on to Barden Moor, it's a great ride and it was nice to be brave enough to do it again.




I even stopped off for a coffee in Arlo when I got back.


I think this is from a late duty, when I was waiting to get the train home.



I had a good bike ride with Jon going via Bolton Abbey (with lots of coffee talk), and then back over C&C.


More swimming


I worked the bank holiday Saturday, but on Sunday I met with Grace and two of the doctors (Alex and someone else) before riding to Bolton Abbey again.


When I got back, me and Kathryn went to Friends of Ham in Ilkley, and also to Martinez as they were open on the bank holiday. We got chatting to the sweet old lady outside, before finally getting the train home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Late Summer 2026

Again, these are in some sort of mixed up order. The rose that we saved from next door flowered this year. Hopefully we will plant it in the...