Here am share my run reports I have written recently.
WEST YORKSHIRE XC LEAGUE MEETING 2 THORNES PARK, WAKEFIELD – 16TH NOVEMBER 2025
Naturally, round 2 started how any second race in a series does (for me at least), a frantic search 30 minutes before you need to leave for your race number. Cursing myself that I’d stashed it somewhere that would have seemed obvious at the time, now I was immersed in a real life version of that kids TV show ‘Finders Keepers’. Naturally, it was in a drawer against the nearside edge, I’m actually surprised I found it.
Number secured, off I go to Wakefield Thornes Park. It’s actually really easy to get the train to this race. The park is a short walk from Wakefield Westgate station. It was cold, cloudy but dry and not too much wind. I tried to keep as many layers on for as long as possible. I did a short warmup and then headed to the start.
We were off promptly at the 2:15pm start time. There is a nice long run into the first corner, so only a small amount of jostling for position before entering the first corner and into the uphill section. For the men, the distance is about 10km, which comprises of 1 short lap and 4 long laps (no miscounting for me this time).
In summary, this course is like 4x 1.5km efforts, but rather than having a breather in-between intervals, instead you run up a hill, round a short loop and back to begin another 1.5km effort. It’s definitely a challenge of how quickly you can recover after going up and down the little hill and get back into a groove for the long faster section of the lap.
As we know with running at high intensity, it’s just one continual ‘damage report’ and the list of ‘problems’ was growing with each lap. This wasn’t a 1-on-1-off type of day for my list. After a fairly decent first 5km, I started to drop off a bit and a steady stream of people came past me. I did catch an occasional runner having a terrible day, which helped a little bit.
Eventually I came in at 39:35, surprinsgly 4 positions back than my first round effort. Not sure why, Power of 10 is showing I finished about right for my recent form. Onto the next round, which is Rothwell in 3 weeks.
Results
Pos No Name Club Time Cat CP ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 1 531 Abdimajiid Darood ................. SKYRAC AC 31:03 SENM 67 438 Stephen Morris ..................... OTLEY AC 39:35 V35M
BURLEY MOOR RUN – 8TH NOVEMBER 2025
This year was my 2nd attempt at this local race. The first was back in 2023, and I’d have to wait 2 years for another chance as the 2024 edition was cancelled due to the amount of traffic diverted onto the moor road due to roadworks on the A65. It’s a tough event (which pretty much goes without saying for every West Yorkshire race), I can only think of Rombalds Romp and our own Round the Hill race that are a similar distance (neither of which I haven’t attempted yet) as a comparable local event. That extra few kms really makes it an extra challenge compared to the usual 5 mile routes for fell races.
Conditions were looking good this year. I can walk to the start from where I live (amazing). Pre-registration was via a google form and bank transfer (£5 – bargain) and I rocked up about 20 minutes before the start. We did get caught in a short shower before the start, but it was sunny blue skies after, light wind and a nice temperature for running in just vest and shorts. FYI, there is a nice clubhouse by the cricket pitch with changing facilitates and refreshments should you need them.
The 1st PECO fixture was Sunday, so I recon the field this year was slightly reduced from 2023. In classic awkward British culture, there was a mandatory ‘happy birthday’ rendition before we got started for some of the runners from Ilkley Harriers. I suppose being a local event that they don’t organise, it felt like 50% of runners were representing IH.
The start is a quick sprint across the cricket pitch to the first corner and path up to the moor. A mix of woodland, fields and trail paths forms a tough first 3-4km which is all uphill, culminating in an even tougher section above the moor road to the actual moor. I was doing well to keep running up until that point, but then decided to walk and catch my breath a bit. This is the kind of fell race where your arms are hurting in the days after, as you try to propel/will yourself up the steep bits with every muscle in your body.
After the climb, there is the briefest of respites as you get those legs turning again and accelerate back to running speed along the main path to Ilkley. However, after about 300 metres a marshal redirects you left and up a path to finish your ascent to the top of the moor. This part is particularly tough if you’re not expecting it. There’s a short section along a reservoir before you reach the shooting hut and begin your descent. But don’t be fooled! This race has a sting in the tail, as when you reach the bottom of the track you then have an undulating section, before an energy-sapping final ascent which includes a tricky stream crossing. Unfortunately, at this point us front runners faced a group of walkers crossing the stream too. There was a bit of jockeying for position, perhaps just a bit of confusion, and somewhat inevitably we got in each others’ way. Hopefully no lasting harm.
After that bit, it’s then the final downhill to the finish. The descent is terrifying. The bright sunshine making it difficult to see the rutted path below which was in darkness. After crossing the road, I was feeling good and flew over the final few fields and path to the finish. I was pleased to finish in 7th, about 90 seconds faster than my first attempt. This was definitely due to better pacing along the route, that 7-8km punchy bit definitely requires you holding a bit back. An added bonus for me was finishing fast enough to be included in Dave Wodhead usual photos of first finishers. Not a bad way to end my running career in the 35-39 age bracket.
Results
1st Oli Murphy 45:53 Ilkley Harriers
7th Stephen Morris 51:47 Otley AC
36th Kate Prior 01:02:16 Ilkley Harriers
56th Julian Mitchell 01:09:13 Otley AC
59th Chris Lee 01:09:41 Otley AC
63rd Megan McCall 01:11:27 Otley AC
91st Donald Buffham 01:31:43 Otley AC
WEST YORKSHIRE XC LEAGUE MEETING 1 NUNROYD PARK, GUISELEY – 12TH OCTOBER 2025
I have a confession to make. I’m a huge cross country fan, specifically West Yorkshire XC! It seems odd I know. Pay money to punish yourself running ump-teen laps of a field, but it definitely has it charms. Last year, this was the first race back after my foot fracture in July, so this year I was keen to re-claim former glories amongst the elite runners. And by former glory, I mean middle of the pack. My result here last year was 108th, and I think I just about avoided getting lapped.
As usual with the first event at Nunryod Park, it’s close to 20 degrees and sunny. The ground was a bit softer this year, but by the 2pm start for the men, it was a glorious day. I kept trying to remind myself of that after we got underway. One of the reasons I like XC is because I’ve invested in a pair of XC shoes now. There’s virtually nothing to them, just a thin plastic sole and the metal spikes. So naturally you are flying for the first few hundred meters until your heart rate nears full throttle and you feel out of breath. It’d stay like that until the end. Although I miscounted the laps and had an extra ‘bonus’ lap of pain. Although to my credit, we did run the wrong course, 5 large laps instead a shortened first lap before 4 long laps.
It’s a pretty easy course, just two slight inclines but both are short. Try to push on the up-hills, coast on the downhills and cut the multiple corners as close as you can. XC is brutal though, I came 5 out of 5 in my age category (64th overall), somehow 7 minutes behind the winner even though it was a 10km which I ran in 37:41 which I thought was very respectable. Overall a solid start to the XC season for me. Hopefully I can nudge up a few places over the coming races and target a top 50th overall.
Pos No Name Club Time Cat CP ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 1 307 Edward Hobbs ................ ILKLEY HARRIERS 30:27 SENM 1
64 438 Stephen Morris ..................... OTLEY AC 37:41 V35M 5


No comments:
Post a Comment